Applications for the 2016 Artist Studio Program opens October 1, 2015 and the deadline is November 5, 2015, 3pm.
All applicants must be United States citizens or legal Permanent Residents of the United States, 18 years or older, may not be enrolled in any degree program, and must be able to demonstrate need for a studio. Applicants may not be a resident artist in another studio program at the same time as the 2016-17 Smack Mellon residency.
A panel of arts professionals and artists will review applications and select artists for the 2015 season. Artists will be selected based on the quality of their work and their potential for making the most of their time in the program. All applicants will be notified by email. Please do not call the office for selection results.
Before applying read about the Artist Studio Program, by clicking here.
IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST DAY TO UPLOAD YOUR MATERIALS. (If you have any technical problems after 3pm on November 5, we will not be able to assist you and any application that is late due to technical difficulties will not be accepted.)
The application process will require:
1. 10 images or 3 videos: SEE BELOW (Only ONE format - video or images - will be reviewed. You can submit an application only once per residency cycle.)
2. Image or Video Script (Enter up to 60 words of description about the content of each image (or series of images) or video.) This information will be reviewed by the panel when your work is viewed.
3. Resume (One file - Word .doc, .docx, .rtf or PDF. Please include your name, address, phone number and email address in this document along with exhibition and educational background.)
4. Artist Statement (In 250 words or less, write a statement about your work and your process.)
5. Statement of Objective (In 250 words or less, describe your plans for potential projects, ideas, and expectations while at Smack Mellon.)
6. Three references (Please provide the name, email address, telephone # and address of three references who know you on a professional level and can comment on your recent work and artistic development.)
You can submit a maximum of ten (10) still images.
Each image file must be titled with your Last Name, underscore, First Name, underscore, image number. Example: Smith_John_01.
Color mode: RGB; File types: .jpg or .tiff
Maximum size in any direction: 1000px
Enter title, medium, production date for each entry (ie: Sick Bacchus, oil on linen, 26.4" x 20.9", 1593)
Image Script: Enter up to 60 words of description about the content of each image or series of images. (This information will be reviewed by the panel when your work is viewed.)
We will not accept CDs of digital images, slides, DVDs, or VHS.
You may submit up to three (3) videos, each of which can be a maximum of three (3) minutes long. Accepted file types include Mp4, AVI, MOV, MPG. Only moving images, i.e. time-based media, video, kinetic art or documentation of performance art, should be submitted as video files. Videos of still artwork or documentation of artistic process will not be viewed.
If titling, crediting, or other important textual information is part of the video, we strongly suggest that it come at the beginning of the video.
Video Script: Enter up to 60 words of description about the content of your video. (This information will be reviewed by the panel when your work is viewed.)
We will not accept CDs of digital images, slides, DVDs, or VHS. Most video codecs will be played back on Submittable's platform - please test your videos for playback before finalizing your submission.
Please carefully read all instructions and these FAQs before submitting and prepare your materials accordingly.